Monday, February 2, 2009

Thank You Rush Limbaugh

Oh, Rush Limbaugh, how I love you. Some have suggested I should be concerned about you. Some have even suggested that you may galvanize some major force of opposition. Frankly, I'm thinking of sending the man a card for Valentine's Day.

If Rush Limbaugh is the face that represents the anti-Obama movement, then I couldn't possibly look better. I'm not sure anyone has ever mistaken him for a rational, level-headed personality. Frankly if he was, he'd be out of a job.

He is a radio shock jock, and his purpose in this world is to make polarizing statements. If he isn't ticking people off, he'd be filing for unemployment. You could even contend it is more important that people disagree with him, than agree with him.

When he plays "Barack the Magic Negro", I'm neither shocked nor dismayed. Rush downplays the incident, saying he is merely repeating a term he heard others utter. In sensible, civilized society we don't pawn off our behavior saying that it is acceptable to be offensive just because someone else stupidly did so before you. People forget that this is a guy who makes statements such as:
I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.
No, Rush relishes the opportunity to make racist statements time and time again. Do I know if he believes them? I'm not sure we ever know the true colors of radio personalities, but that is precisely the point. He has created an image out of either sincerity or business acumen, but it is a personality designed to create ire and derision.I'm not taking the bait. I could mock his past drug addiction, but it would be insensitive and hypocritical. I foolishly took drugs as a child, and thankfully had the good sense to turn my life around. (Buy my book to hear the harrowing and inspiring tale!) I could tear apart his arguments as the nonsense they are, especially when he called Donovan McNabb a media darling that people only liked because he was black. Frankly I've heard the same accusations thrown my way from the same crowd. Last time I checked, McNabb is ranked #18th all time in QB rating, fractions of a point below Dan Marino. And last time I checked, I'm the President of the United States of America, with the support of my loving family.

I'm not worried about critics and pundits, especially those that put their stock of a man that looks like John Wayne Gacy. Limbaugh supporters immediately invalidate themselves simply by supporting him. The only way I'd be terrified of Limbaugh is if he starting wearing clown make-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Superblog Directory - Web Directory