Sunday, February 1, 2009

Israel

If I may, I'd like to interrupt my brief semi-comedic ramblings with a more somber note.

The New York Times is one of my favorite newspapers to read, not only because of the favorable slant (which I do appreciate), but because they have some great content. Their website used to require a subscription, but thankfully they woke up and smelled the 21st century. Anyone can read their articles online without a subscription, which increases brand awareness and creates online revenue. Newspapers shouldn't fear the internet, or offer a half-assed implementation into the arena, they need to embrace it fully.

So I'm reading the Times, and I come across an article by none other than Muammar Qaddafi on Israel. My younger readers may not be familiar with Qaddafi, but he was once seen as one of America's greatest enemies. He was a proud financier of terrorism. He funded the Black September group who perpetuated the awful Munich massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. That was truly a dark time, though I must say, the vastly underrated Munich is one of Spielberg's best films in years. People may mock the man for Indy IV, and sure he hasn't had a good ending to any of his films in a long time (see Minority Report, AI, War of the Worlds, Indy IV), but don't forget that this is the director who gave us Jaws, Close Encounters, Indy, ET, Color Purple, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, and Schindler's List. No one will talk smack about Steve Friggin' Spielberg on my watch.

I digress. So Qaddafi has a history of paying men to kill Jews. He also paid men to kill Americans. But when he decides to write a piece with a solution for Israel, I must say I was absolutely shocked with what he has to say.

The basis for the modern State of Israel is the persecution of the Jewish people, which is undeniable. The Jews have been held captive, massacred, disadvantaged in every possible fashion by the Egyptians, the Romans, the English, the Russians, the Babylonians, the Canaanites and, most recently, the Germans under Hitler. The Jewish people want and deserve their homeland.


Qaddafi has turned a new leaf in recent years. He has paid reparations to families of terrorism victims. He willingly ended his nuclear weapon program. He is distributing oil wealth to his people. He agreed to fight Al-Qaeda, even before the September 11th attacks.
Arguably no man is a better ambassador for common sense in this bloody feud. While many insist the notion of peace as a pipe-dream, impossible in a land viewed as fanatical, Qaddafi has proven that people can grow to see the errors of their ways and move past extreme views and violence.

His advice is sound, and especially riveting given the source. Then again, Panetta just informed me that the latest intelligence suggests that some years ago Qaddafi was replaced by Tom Jones, which explains his female babe-squad of bodyguards.

I will be making a serious post on my suggested policy on Israel at a later date. But right now, the Super Bowl is calling. I need to grab a beer and head over to the TV.

I know I should stop with the Panetta jokes that probably no one else on the planet enjoys, but when the CIA announces that they were unhappy that my choice for the CIA chief caught them off guard, because the process was too secret, I get worried. Shouldn't the CIA know what is going on? Should they ever announce publicly they have no idea what is going on? And maybe it isn't that Panetta has no intelligence experience in his career, maybe he is so good at his job, no one knows that he has any intelligence experience, because people underestimate his sneakiness.

2 comments:

  1. The lack of antisemitism in previous administrations has seriously disturbed me. I think there is no better choice for an ambassador.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the question is these days, is Tom Jones an antisemite?

    ReplyDelete

 
Superblog Directory - Web Directory