Wednesday, January 21, 2009

BS Report

I've been quite busy the past few days, and now that I'm at my desk in the oval office (I really need to rant about the oval office, but I'll save that for another day), I've decided to plug in my Zune iPod and catch up on some podcasts.

So I'm listening to Bill Simmons and Chuck Klosterman on Bill's BS Report, and they start talking about me.

You might imagine that a person would get sick of hearing about themselves all the time. Not really. People love to talk about themselves, and hear about themselves. When I praise my grassroots volunteers in my weekly YouTube address, you get excited when someone recognizes the work you've done. So believe me when I say it isn't ego, everyone loves hearing how great they are.

So now I'm listening intently as Bill mentions me in his podcast, and he brings up my statements on a playoff in college football. He debates with Chuck (I hope they don't mind me calling them by first name) whether or not I'm a real sports fan, whether or not I really feel strongly about a playoff in college football, and whether or not I just threw out whatever was a popular topic at the time.

To Bill and Chuck, let me say this. I was born in Hawaii, grew up in Indonesia, and attended college at Columbia and Harvard. It is hard for me to be a fan of college football. I don't exactly have a school to root for. Basketball is my true love. I don't have to know or follow college football to know however that people love playoffs. It doesn't have to be about me or what I want. I want to give the American people hope that someday USC, Florida, Oklahoma and Texas could be in a playoff to determine a true national champion.

So maybe I am pandering to the masses with the college playoff. I could just as easily say that Bill and Chuck talk about pop culture more than they do sports because it is easy, and rehashing pop culture is also pandering to the masses. But I wouldn't go there because I'm a class act, and I like those guys. So Bill, Chuck, I'm guessing you didn't get the memo. As members of the media, whether you consider yourself serious journalists or not, you're not supposed to question Barack Obama.

Stay cool, and perhaps I'll invite you over to my place to watch the NBA All-Star Game. We've got a pretty nice setup here, and a fridge full of Smithwick's, but we'll have to step outside to smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Superblog Directory - Web Directory