Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Couldn't Sleep

I was so excited last night, I couldn't sleep. Partially it was the first night in a new house. Partially it was that Michelle is really turned on by her man leading the free world. But another part of me was simply trying to grasp perspective on my place in history.

Just a few decades ago my father would be refused service in restaurants in this country. Today I sit, the first Black President, sleeping in the same house as Abraham Lincoln, who famously passed the Emancipation Proclamation. The men who have lived in this house have shaped the course of American history.

Sadly, while thinking of all the great presidents to live in this house, my thoughts also led me to the frightening realization that just a few nights ago, George Bush was sleeping in this very bed.

Bill and Hillary slept in this very bed. They probably slept together in this bed. Those are some disturbing thoughts that will keep a man awake. Then again, it will be hard to keep a straight face the next time I see my Secretary of State.

That being said, I didn't want to write about the Clinton's sex life. I'm eager to start work as the 44th President. Yesterday I used a sobering quote.

"Let it be told to the future world ... that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive... that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet [it]." -- George Washington


It is a sobering quote for a sobering time. We celebrated as a nation yesterday, but today we roll up our sleeves and prepare to face the future. The problems facing this nation are very real. But today I offer another quote, a more positive variation of the first.

"In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer" -- Albert Camus.


Let's get rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Superblog Directory - Web Directory